Tuesday, June 17, 2014

If you don't grow yourself, how can you expect to grow kids?

        When I began using my first iPad, I really liked the Flipboard app that came already installed on it. (I am still using the original iPad which is always a drawback for early adopters. First to get something, last to update.) Anyway, I used Flipboard as a convenient and smooth way to read magazine articles and newspapers. As I continued my own professional learning, I began to see how the power of the Flipboard app on smartphones and other devices can be used to support my staff's learning paths as well.
    Today, I created a magazine in my Flipboard account called " Professional Development: Being your own Superman."  It was relatively easy to do. The idea is to now collect and curate content into my custom magazine and offer it to my staff to subscribe to it within their own Flipboard accounts (they all have school iPads). At their leisure, they can peruse and enjoy the articles that we feel are related to the topics and vision of our school and district. I envision adding moderators so they too can add what may be relevant to the growth of each other.
    To add content to the magazine, I added the hashtags of some of my favorite twitter PLN feeds because they generate a large amount of relative articles. Examples are #oacteach, #ohedchat, #cpchat along with a few other choice additions. Once I have read them, reflected on it, and possibly commented or blogged about it, I can now add any articles with just a click.

 For more information to get started, go to this resource: http://theedublogger.com/2014/06/12/curation/

If you are a Flipboard user, search for my magazine and let me know what you think. It is set to public viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment