Friday, June 6, 2014

Reading in the Wild: one principal, one teacher, one child at a time

Two months ago, a wonderful primary teacher that I used to work with sent an email to recommend this book to me. I took her advice and downloaded it onto my iPad. I completed it within a few days. This led me to joining goodreads.com, rekindled my love of reading for personal enjoyment again (it seems as if all I have been reading were professional titles), and I bought 8 more copies for my Language Arts teachers. Tongue in cheek, I told them not to come back to work next year until they read it. It was that good.

They quickly finished the book and with only two days of school left, we met for an after school book talk on The Warehouse restaurant patio in beautiful Roscoe Village and we talked about how to make "wild readers" out of our students.
Many ideas were shared which led to a common belief of how we think about teaching students to read and instilling the love of reading at the same time.


Meanwhile, over the summer break, I am sure many of the things Donalyn highlighted in her book will be planned out and implemented with our own special twists when we return in the fall. I will be proudly recognizing the groups effort and informal learning by adding a badge to their classroom badge poster.

A sister elementary school has begun reading the same book and it is satisfying to think of common ideas that can be shared when we all get together.

Use the summer tor refresh, and read. Just read.







No comments:

Post a Comment